Am so sick and tired of all the hashtag wrongs on social media. I definitely wanted to shut up but can’t! Ndingehota! Before I jump off to those crimes, let me define a hashtag. According to Luvvie Ajayi author of I’m Judging You, a hashtag allows words to be track-able so everyone using that word or search term can find out what everyone else is talking about.
That said, some of the injustices you are doing to this #:
- Hash tagging a complete sentence e.g. #ILoveMyCat
- Hash tagging titles. This is usually done by newspapers on their headlines or even authors in their books e.g. #IWillMarryWhenIWant #26thOctoberPresidentialElection
- Hash tagging basic words e.g. #the #it #or
- Hash tagging every word of a sentence e.g. #How #Are #You
- Creating a word that makes the hashtag not work. This is usually before and after a word e.g. #exciting# or after a word e.g. Basketball#
- Using so many hashtags in one post e.g. #squad #YOLO #TGIF #party #fun #clubbing #dancing #tired #sleepy #bedtime #hangover
- Being unable to NOT hashtag. These are the social media wannabees who just got hold of a twitter, IG, fb account or even those who get to social media too late like our parents, aunts and uncles and they think they can hashtag their every status and posts! STAPH!
- Hijacking an unrelated hashtag. This is by using hashtags that got nothing to do with your post. E.g. Placing #Hiphop on eating dinner post.
Well that is it about the wrongs. Which other wrongs can’t you stand?